The Riddet Institute will generate the future knowledge and skills that are required to help address the unprecedented challenges and disruptions facing the food sector in a rapidly changing world. It will be the world’s top institute in discovery-led research at the frontier of food materials science, nutrition and health, and will develop high calibre human capital to ensure rapid innovation, a vibrant food sector and long-lasting socioeconomic benefits for New Zealand.
The Riddet Institute:
- strives for excellence in all activities and endeavours;
- operates ethically and with integrity;
- is collaborative and inclusive, sharing knowledge and resources for mutual benefit;
- is committed to its responsibilities under Te Tiriti;
- embraces equity and diversity;
- pursues research and training that supports both commercial and public good outcomes;
- creates an enduring global network of scientists to facilitate knowledge transfer across disciplinary boundaries.
Our Strategic Priorities
World-class science, Industry impact, Agri-food thought leadership, Shaping Future Food Science leaders, Supporting Maori success, Policy and regulation.
- Enhance New Zealand’s reputation through world-class expertise in food science and related disciplines
- Develop capability, and create and transfer advanced knowledge to a sustainable food sector in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Help to future-proof the food sector in Aotearoa New Zealand that addresses local and global sustainability challenges.
- Help to build a stronger indigenous food sector in Aotearoa New Zealand, supporting improved economic outcomes for Māori.
- Support the food sector in Aotearoa New Zealand to be more inclusive, diverse and equitable, providing more opportunities for Māori and Pacific People
- Develop new nutritional indices and guidelines to support informed food choices for consumers.