The mission of the Riddet Institute is to:
- be the pre-eminent centre for food and nutritional science in New Zealand, carrying out the fundamental and strategic research that will lead to tomorrow’s innovation in high margin food products and processes.
- act as the integrator for New Zealand food science, setting the standard for cross-organisation, cross-discipline collaboration and facilitating knowledge transfer to industry through strong networks and partnerships.
- show national leadership by raising awareness by the food industry and policy-makers of key global issues related to agri-food.
- recruit and develop highly qualified scientists in food science and supporting disciplines increasing the capability and capacity to drive innovation in the food industry.
- positively influence, not only the New Zealand food industry, but also the wider community’s health and economic and social well-being
As well as its defined programme of research, the Riddet Institute carries out the following activities which contribute to its mission:
- trains and develops young scientists
- connects to the NZ agrifood industry through its Riddet Foodlink initiative
- fosters strategic partnerships with key food companies
- contributes to the NZ agrifood industry growth and innovation strategy
- organises international conferences
- brings outstanding international researchers and speakers to New Zealand