Ph.D. Food Science and Technology, National University of Ireland, 1986
Harjinder Singh is a Distinguished Professor and Director of the Massey Institute of Food Science and Technology. He is also the Co-Director of the Riddet Institute, a National Centre of Research Excellence in food science and nutrition.
Areas of Expertise
Professor Singh's research has focused on food colloids, food ingredient functionality, functional foods and food structure-nutrition interface. He has published over 300 research papers in international journals, and is co-inventor of 12 patents which have formed the basis of several commercial innovations. He has presented over 95 keynote addresses at national and international conferences.
Awards and Honours
- International Dairy Foods Association Research Award in Dairy Foods Processing, USA (2015).
- Distinguished Professor award, Massey University (2013).
- Co-recipient of the Prime Minister's Science Prize (2012), the most prestigious science honour in New Zealand.
- Shorland Medal (2011) by the New Zealand Association of Scientists. This medal is in recognition of major and continued contribution to basic or applied research that has added significantly to scientific understanding or resulted in significant benefits to society.
- JC Andrews Award (2011) by the New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology. This is the Institute's most prestigious award and recognises individuals who have made a substantial contribution to science and technology and leadership in the food industry.
- Awarded William C. Haines Dairy Science Award (2008) by the California Dairy Research Foundation (USA) for making outstanding contributions to dairy science and dairy industry worldwide.
- Awarded Massey University Research Medal (individual) (2008) for distinction in research.
- Awarded Marschall Rhodia International Dairy Science Award (2001). This highly prestigious award given by the American Dairy Science Association recognizes outstanding accomplishments in research and development by a researcher outside the USA and Canada in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, technology, and engineering pertaining to the dairy foods industries.
- Awarded Massey University Research Medal (Team) (2005) for making outstanding research contributions and team leadership.
- Selected as ISI Highly Cited Researcher for exceptional citation count in the field of Agricultural Science (2006). Ranked top 15 in the world in the period 1996-2006 by Science Watch (Thompson Scientific, USA).
- Elected Fellow of Royal Society of New Zealand (2002) in recognition of distinction in research and the advancement of science.
- Elected Fellow of the International academy of Food Science and Technology, (2006). This fellowship recognises outstanding contributions to the field of food science and advancement of knowledge.
- Elected Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology, (2006). This fellowship recognises outstanding contributions to the field of food science and technology.
- Elected Fellow of the United States Institute of Food Technologists (2015) in recognition of outstanding contributions to the food science and technology field.
Professor Singh's profile - link to: http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/expertise/profile.cfm?stref=742130